THE MUSINGS OF MUSICIAN BRITT NEAL

For more on me and my music, check out www.brittneal.com

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The corporate life

I've just returned from Amsterdam where I was basking in all my corporate glory. Most of you probably know that I have the still essential day job. I got this job soon after I moved to New York and it accidentally turned in to a career. I didn't mean for it to happen. I didn't have the experience. Just goes to show that the right place at the right time really does have something to do with where you end up in life.

I work for a company in the broadcasting industry and I worked my way up quickly because - funny enough - it turns out I'm actually good at what I do! (This was amazing to many seeing as the words "corporate" and "business" came up next to never around the family dinner table.)

Naturally, I don't always love it, but then again mashed potatoes are just about the only thing in this world that I always love (anything instant is automatically excluded, of course). But fate would have me end up landing a job in a young company that was growing, and hard work is something that a good Southern girl will never shy away from.

So here I am spending weeks abroad at trade shows around the world and this has included a week in Amsterdam for the last three years. It's called the IBC and is an extravaganza of suits and people who at the least know how to pretend that they're very smart. I've slowly been learning how to get along in this world, as can be seen in this clip of me acting like I know a thing or two ...


Yes, I sound like a complete dork, but this is my job.

But the absolute best part about these events and this new world that I spend my days in ... there's never a line for the ladies' room.

No comments: