THE MUSINGS OF MUSICIAN BRITT NEAL

For more on me and my music, check out www.brittneal.com

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Top 8 Things I Adore


Enough with the navel gazing.  All quasi-inspirational gleams of lint have been uncovered and it’s time to quit ruminating on the emotional challenges and upheaval, and just get on with it!

So, in the spirit of gettin’ on, I decided to make a list of 8 things I adore.  These are listed in no particular order, and I reserve the right to extend, edit and apologize as needed.   (And, yes, it’s 8.  I feel the need to rebel against round numbers today.)

1. Shoulder Rub – I could expound on the tension and physiological trends of my body, but let’s just suffice it to say, the way to this girl’s heart is through her shoulders.  I melt, and worship all skilled massage therapists. 

2. Cuppa Joe – Potentially pure addiction, but my friends know there needs to be some coffee readily accessible when I come to visit.  Add a newspaper and some time to kick back and I’m one happy camper.

3. Impromptu Picnic – This is a new addition, but we went to a local park a few weekends ago armed with fresh seafood from across the river, and I realized as I sat sprawled out, stuffing my face and enjoying the sunshine and kids playing, it couldn’t really get any better.

4. My Family – This isn’t your average group of doctors, lawyers and Indian Chiefs here.  My family is one of a kind – intellectuals, theologians, doctors, general servants and savers of mankind.  They set the bar pretty damn high, but I love ‘em for it.

5. Southern Gospel Music – It follows on from the family somewhat.  Being a big part of my childhood, there’s a real gut nostalgia feeling.  But it’s also incredible harmony and emotion you just can’t replace (if you can get past all the blood and dying).

6. Rain – There’s just something about it.  I've always loved it, ever since I was a kid.  Whether I’m walking in it, splashing through it or enjoying it from the dry side of a window.  Magical, peaceful, a beautiful moment for reflection.

7. Mashed Potatoes – Favorite food of all time, hands down.  Whether I’m sick, hungry, or just in the mood for some home cooking, nothing compares with a serving of good homemade mashed potatoes.  (Be forewarned - don’t you dare try and serve me anything that came out of a box.  It just gets my hopes up and I can’t handle the disappointment.)

8. The Airport – I love to travel.  But I also love that feeling when you arrive at the airport: the bustle, the sounds and faces of the world, all wandering through the halls together excited to be going somewhere.  And when you arrive, that feeling of walking out of those sliding doors to greet a brand new destination.  Thrilling!


Ah, makes me smile just thinking of these things... much better.