THE MUSINGS OF MUSICIAN BRITT NEAL

For more on me and my music, check out www.brittneal.com

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I wrote this???

As the preparations for the summer tour swing into full gear, there is much to do!

I decided a few weeks ago that I was going to use this opportunity (a full band tour) to get my charts in order.  For those of you who don’t know the term, a chart is, very simply, a written out version of a song.  The problem is, when I wrote all of my tunes, they were already in my head to begin with, so if I already knew them all by heart… why go through the painstaking work of writing them down?

Unfortunately, this was the logic that prevailed until just a few weeks ago.  (I can hear Ann Ruckert - den mother of aspiring musicians everywhere - groaning from here!)  But lately I suddenly felt inspired and motivated.  Or rather, I just didn’t want to be embarrassed when I have to present my set list to the rest of the band.  See, this will be my first time playing with two of the band members and, you know, I don’t want to come across as a complete hack.

Just to clarify, we’re not talking about simply penciling in words on a page here.  We’re talking note for note, tempo, ‘is that a quarter or an eighth rest in the 12th bar, and why is there an extra measure on the second ending?’… it’s brutal.  But in order for real musicians to realistically be able to play with you, it has to exist.  If not, I say, “a-one, a-two, a-three…” and expect them to read my mind. (Or stare at me blankly.  I don’t recommend this approach.  Tends to create awkward silence on stage, which is frowned upon overall.)


Alas, I set off to re-familiarize myself with the notation software I have.  (Sorry Ann, I really just can’t do the hand-written thing.  I’m left handed.  The ink smudges.  And I make way too many mistakes.)  I’ll admit - it was extremely slow going at first.  The first few made me wonder whether I was really up for the challenge.  But then the funniest thing happened –

When you are creating a chart you have to stop, observe and analyze every little detail of a song, and as I went through my songs centimeter by bloody centimeter, I had an epiphany:  I really like my songs!

You may be scratching your head right now saying, ‘Ummm, yeah. I hope so doofus.  You wrote them, remember?’  But here’s the thing.  I wrote all of these songs at least two years ago minimum.  I’ve played them over and over again, gig after gig, to the point where they lose their umph.  At least for me.  I really don’t know how the superstars do it, playing their megahits night after night for years on end.  In their head, I’m pretty sure they’re making mental notes about when to pick up the dry cleaning.

In my ears, at least, my original songs had gotten a little stale and I was really much more motivated to play covers in public.  But it turns out, I remember now not only how much work I put into these songs, but the more I listen and study, the more I actually think they’re good.   Who knew?!?

No plans for a worldwide arena tour anytime soon, but I think I’m ready to start playing these songs again with the energy and excitement they deserve.

More details to come, but you can check out the tour dates here:


No comments: